Wisconsin Professional Police Association Scholarship Program
Deadline is February 1
Who is eligible for the WPPA scholarship?
Any Wisconsin resident enrolling in a college or vocational/technical school in a course of study leading to a two- or four-year degree in police science, criminal justice, or a law enforcement-related field – which does not include law school – is eligible.
Who selects the scholarship winners?
Scholarship recipients are selected by a committee composed of six WPPA Directors. All decisions of the committee are final.
How many scholarships will be awarded?
The Scholarship Committee reserves the right to determine the number and amount of scholarships to be awarded in a given year.
How is the scholarship paid?
The recipient must submit proof of his or her enrollment (a copy of the semester tuition invoice marked “paid”) in an accredited college or vocational/technical school. Awards are not retroactive and may not be credited to semesters already completed. After the student has submitted proof of enrollment, a check for the scholarship award will be mailed directly to the recipient.
How do students apply?
- Complete the Scholarship Application in its entirety.
- Enclose a typewritten essay (on 8½ x 11 paper) of 200 words or less outlining why you have chosen a law enforcement career. Include any special projects relating to your interest in law enforcement and any other factors you wish the committee to consider.
- Type in the top right corner of each page of the essay your full name and complete address.
- Sign and date the essay.
- Enclose three (3) letters of recommendation from three different sources (i.e., not more than one letter from any one source). Sources may include family, school, neighbor, clergy, employer, civic organization, law enforcement, etc. (For example, send one letter of recommendation from your school, one from a police officer, and one from a family member.)
- Enclose a transcript of high school and/or college grades.
- Scholarship applications must be postmarked on or before February 1 and mailed to:
WPPA Scholarship Committee, 660 John Nolen Drive, Suite 300, Madison, Wisconsin 53713.